[R-sig-Geo] Raster Data Management Advice

Alexander Ilich @|||ch @end|ng |rom u@|@edu
Thu Oct 13 16:19:55 CEST 2022

Thank you everyone for the advice. I have some things to look into.

Thanks,
Alex
________________________________
From: Michael Sumner <mdsumner using gmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, October 9, 2022 5:01 AM
To: Alexander Ilich <ailich using mail.usf.edu>
Cc: r-sig-geo using r-project.org <r-sig-geo using r-project.org>
Subject: Re: [R-sig-Geo] Raster Data Management Advice

I would set up a polygon of the bounding box (in the native projection) of each raster source, and use fields on those polygons to store the details of interest: xmin,xmax,ymin,ymax, dimension, resolution, crs, and your other details. Then hone in a areas of interest for different tasks to see what set of overlapping data you have for it.

There's a lot of fanfare about STAC, but it's really just a JSON-format with some of the information you could store on a simple polygon dataset ...with STAC as with so many formats you'd have to shoehorn your data into that more restrictive form (you can always spit out STAC as a side product of your own rich summary for less sophisticated uses).

The crux is keeping the details of the source's native projection independent from the representation you use to query it spatially IMO, just record what's there. Further, the GDAL warper app-lib (one level below the gdalwarp.exe) is the right tool for doing general reads, of any number of sources into one specific window of your choosing in any projection (you could use your dataset described above to limit which sources get included). You can easily see what you'd get by merging any number of sources together, and of course more nuanced situations like a sensible background with more detailed layers merged over that is very valuable.

Cheers, Mike