[R-sig-Geo] Raster Data Management Advice

GilbertoCamara g||berto@c@m@r@@|npe @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Oct 7 21:44:11 CEST 2022

Dear Edzer and Alexander

STAC is rapidly expanding to become a “de facto” standard. STAC is being adopted by relevant cloud data providers of Earth observation data, such as Microsoft Planetary Computing and Earth on AWS. Its use is gradually replacing the OCG catalogue specification.

The “rstac” package is able to access STAC endpoints. For examples on how to use the “rstac” package directly, there is a nice tutorial by Marius Appel (author of the “gdalcubes” package) that shows how to combine “rstac” with “gdalcubes”. It’s available at https://youtu.be/Xlg__2PeTXM?t=3693

For R examples of access to large cloud computing collections using STAC under the hood, please take a look at the following chapter of the “sits” package documentation:
https://e-sensing.github.io/sitsbook/earth-observation-data-cubes.html

Hope this helps.

Best
Gilberto
Prof Dr Gilberto Camara
Senior Researcher
National Institute for Space Research (INPE), Brazil
https://gilbertocamara.org/