[R-sig-Geo] How to separate a set of geographical regions to multiple groups that are similar to each other but also maintains geographic contiguity?

Danlin Yu yud @end|ng |rom m@||@montc|@|r@edu
Fri Jul 8 06:05:10 CEST 2022

Dear List members:

I have recently attempted to do a regionalization analysis with a group
of geographic regions, each contains multiple attributes (A1, A2, A3,
...). The goal is not like a regular regionalization problem (such as
K-means) in which you define groups with minimal within group
dissimilarity but maximal between group dissimilarity.

My regionalization is the opposite, I want the groups to be as similar
as possible (although within group does not have to be as dissimilar as
possible, but that is of less concern) in terms of means, variance, and
other statistics. I ran into the minDiff package and its successor
anticlust package in R, and it is able to do the job wonderfully except
for one problem: since this is a regionalization problem, I would really
want the final groups to be geographically connected (spatially
constrained). Results from minDiff/anticlust, however, show the
different groups are mixed with one another all over the map. Here is a
sample code:

A dataframe contains the geographic units and attributes is read from a
shapefile and stored in geo.df.

|geo.df<-as.data.frame(read_sf(dsn = getwd(), lay = "geolayer",
stringsAsFactors = FALSE)) geo.df$class <- anticlustering(geo.df[,
c("A1", "A2", "A3", "A4", ..., "An"), K = 5, objective = "variance",
standardize = TRUE) |

I've tried to include coordinates in the list of attributes (A1, A2,
..., An), pairwise distances, but none worked. I always ended up with
well separated groups, but all mixed with one another in the geographic
space.

Any pointers on how to proceed from here? Any hints will be greatly
appreciated.

Thank you all in advance.

Best,

Danlin Yu

Danlin Yu, Ph.D.
Professor of GIS and Urban Geography
Department of Earth & Environmental Studies
Montclair State University
Montclair, NJ, 07043
Tel: 973-655-4313
Fax: 973-655-4072