[R-sig-Geo] Earthdata CMR access

Joe Lee hyok|ee @end|ng |rom hd|group@org
Thu Apr 14 04:25:11 CEST 2022

Wow, what a great start!

Unlike GES DISC OPeNDAP server,
I think the PODAAC OPeNDAP server that you’d like to access
doesn’t require Earthdata Login credentials.
That eliminates a lot of complications.

My suspicion is that your R ncdf4 package is not built with OPeNDAP support.
Can you check if your R ndf4 package work with our demo OPeNDAP server [1]?
If not, you may want to install ncdf4 with your own netCDF-4 library that enabled OPeNDAP support.

Once [1] works with your R ncdf4,
I think my posting [2] can help you to redirect URLs properly
for NASA credential-enabled OPeNDAP servers.

Good luck and thanks for sharing your code on GitHub!

[1] https://eosdap.hdfgroup.org:8080/opendap/data/hdf5/grid_1_2d.h5.dmr.html
[2] https://hdfeos.org/forums/showthread.php?t=821#4

From: Ben Tupper <btupper using bigelow.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 13, 2022 8:59 PM
To: Joe Lee <hyoklee using hdfgroup.org>
Cc: r-sig-geo using r-project.org
Subject: Re: [R-sig-Geo] Earthdata CMR access

What I have can search for S3 resources, but I happen to focus on OPeNDAP instead.

As far as I can tell, the ncdf4 (and RNetCDF) packages don't provide utilities for establishing credentialed opendap connections.  That is handled by sort of a third party or some kind of wrapper.   Without credentials I can search, but without credentials I cannot open a connection to the opendap resources the search yields.

If I am understanding the error message shown at the bottom of the README (see below), the server is receiving the request but for lack of credentials is refusing access.  I'm stumped.

https://github.com/BigelowLab/cmr

--
Ben Tupper Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences https://www.bigelow.org/ Tick forecast https://eco.bigelow.org/