[R-sig-Geo] GRTS sampling - 2-level design

Thierry Onkelinx th|erry@onke||nx @end|ng |rom |nbo@be
Fri Oct 8 15:38:48 CEST 2021

Dear John,

Your procedure will create a spatially balanced level 1 sample (10
"regions") and within those regions a spatially balanced level 2 sample.
When you ignore the structure, there is no longer a spatial balance. So
you'll need to incorporate the two level sampling structure in your
analysis. E.g. by using region as random effect.

I presume you are catching fish along rivers and assume that the rivers are
linear features. I'd consider drawing 10 samples using GRTS to define the
regions. Then use that location as the center point of 5 systematic samples
along the river (-2, -1, 0, +1 and +2 km).

You might want to take a look at our grtsdb package. Available at
https://inbo.r-universe.dev/ It generates a full grid of master samples and
stores it in the database. So you can draw multiple samples from the same
master sample. This is useful in case of monitoring with a changing
population. You draw a sample and keep the lowest ranking locations that
are part of the population. If the population changes over time, then the
new sample will keep a proportion of the original sampling location
relative to the proportion of the population that remained stable. This
allows for repeated measures for stable locations while taking into account
the changes in population.

Best regards,

Thierry

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Statisticus / Statistician

Vlaamse Overheid / Government of Flanders
INSTITUUT VOOR NATUUR- EN BOSONDERZOEK / RESEARCH INSTITUTE FOR NATURE AND
FOREST
Team Biometrie & Kwaliteitszorg / Team Biometrics & Quality Assurance
thierry.onkelinx using inbo.be
Havenlaan 88 bus 73, 1000 Brussel
www.inbo.be

~ John Tukey