[R-sig-Geo] fuzzy kappa

Paulo Flores Ribeiro p@u|o@||ore@@m@|| @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Nov 24 17:31:56 CET 2021

Hi Hugo,
Many thanks for the reply. I don't think it's the same. If I'm not
mistaken, the "weighted" of Cohen's Kappa in the psych package works on
the confusion matrix of classifications, assigning different weights to
values ​​further away from the diagonal. Fuzzy kappa has another
purpose. A classic example (which I read elsewhere) to show the
potential usefulness of fuzzy kappa is the comparison of two rasters
with the appearance of a chessboard: if the two boards are aligned, the
match is perfect; if one of them is rotated 90 degrees, the mismatch is
total but, however, the mosaic pattern remains exactly the same! Fuzzy
kappa aims to get around these issues by providing an assessment of the
mosaic pattern that is closer to a human perspective, rather than a
purely "mathematical" pixel-to-pixel correspondence assessment.
I've seen articles where the authors claim to have adopted this "fuzzy
kappa" approach to assess the accuracy of predictions in land use change
models (which is my case), and I was hoping there would be a
package/function to accomplish this in R. I'll be very surprised if it
doesn't exist, as R got me used to finding "answer for everything" in it ;)
Cheers,
PauloFR