[R-sig-Geo] Question on hierarchical data format 5 .h5 file format

Edzer Pebesma edzer@pebe@m@ @end|ng |rom un|-muen@ter@de
Sun Nov 14 11:00:43 CET 2021

This might be because the grid is not regular but possibly curvilinear,
having two raster layers with the lon & lat values for each pixel. Can
you share a sample data set?

On 14/11/2021 10:47, Gabriel Cotlier wrote:
> Dear Michael,
>
> Following your advice I have tired :
>
> library(terra)
> library(raster)
> library(dplyr)
>
> r = terra::rast(file.choose())
> plot(r$LST)
> r_lst = r$LST
> r_lst %>% raster()
> plot(r_lst)
>
> Then I effectively get a raster layer format from the raster package as I
> wanted, but looking at the plot and the raster layer information--see
> bellow-- the scene appears to need both latitude and longitude for correct
> geolocation, how can I do this procedure?
>
>> r_lst %>% raster()
> class      : RasterLayer
> dimensions : 5632, 5400, 30412800  (nrow, ncol, ncell)
> resolution : 1, 1  (x, y)
> extent     : 0, 5400, 0, 5632  (xmin, xmax, ymin, ymax)
> crs        : NA
> source     : LST
> names      : LST
> values     : 0, 65535  (min, max)
>
> The extent and the resolution are not the correct ones.
> Maybe in the same .h5  is all the data for georeferencing it although I
> could not see how to get to it and apply it to the layer.
> There is also another file with complementary data related to geolocation
> but how can I query it, and get the data for geolocation and apply it to
> the raster layer?.
> The objective is to save it as a GeoTIFF file to be opened in QGIS with
> correct geolocation.
>
> What do you suggest for converting the .h5 file to a georeferenced Raster
> Layer in GeoTIFF format ?
>
> Thanks a lot.
> Kind regards,
> Gabriel
>
> On Sat, Nov 13, 2021 at 12:22 PM Gabriel Cotlier <gabiklm01 using gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Dear Michael Summer,
>> Thanks a lot for your swift reply.
>> I will give a try to the procedure you mentioned.
>> Kind regards,
>> Gabriel
>>

>> On Sat, Nov 13, 2021 at 12:14 PM Michael Sumner <mdsumner using gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> try terra::rast() or stars::read_stars() on the file, both use gdal to
>>> interrogate and read. What you get depends on the structure of the files,
>>> variables interpreted as subdatasets. stars is more general but sees
>>> variables as 2D arrays with bands, terra calls these bands layers.
>>>
>>> Alternatively try raster::raster() or RNetCDF or tidync which might be
>>> more straightforward than rhdf5 but all are quite different to each other
>>> and to the gdal view.
>>>
>>> hth

> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Edzer Pebesma
Institute for Geoinformatics
Heisenbergstrasse 2, 48151 Muenster, Germany
Phone: +49 251 8333081