[R-sig-Geo] Impute missing values along a spatial network

Tobias Ruttenauer tob|@@@rutten@uer @end|ng |rom nu|||e|d@ox@@c@uk
Wed Mar 24 16:21:37 CET 2021

Thank you very much for the hint, Roger! Completely right, a Gaussian process actually does not make too much sense in this case. I'll have a look into INLA and see if I can work with that.

For now, I don't have any covariates in this. This is mainly because I'm specifically interested in the annual variation of traffic counts, but available covariates are all time-constant.

Thanks again and best wishes
Tobias

-----Original Message-----
From: Roger Bivand <Roger.Bivand using nhh.no>
Sent: 24 March 2021 14:18
To: Tobias Ruttenauer <tobias.ruttenauer using nuffield.ox.ac.uk>
Cc: r-sig-geo using r-project.org
Subject: Re: [R-sig-Geo] Impute missing values along a spatial network

On Wed, 24 Mar 2021, Tobias Ruttenauer wrote:

> Dear list members,
>
> I am trying to construct a road network with traffic estimates for
> each road segment. I have count data of the traffic for a subset of
> the segments and I have the road network as spatial lines data. For
> those segments without count data, I would like to perform something
> like linear imputation or some sort of interpolation / kriging along
> the road network instead of using pure geographical distance. For
> instance, if I have 7 road segments A-B-C-D-E and F-G (F and G are
> unconnected to the rest), and I have data for A and D, how can I
> impute data for B, C (and
> E) by only using A and D, while ignoring F and G even though they
> might be geographically close?

Are there any relevant covariates associated with the road segments? I think that this is more of a Markov than a Gaussian random field, so a Poisson spatial regression with a neighbour matrix representing contiguous segments might be possible. Covariates, or an offset by an expected volume might help. INLA with a Besag model - INLA fits missing responses, or
mgcv::gam() with an "mrf" smooth or hglm() then predict?

Any other suggestions?

Roger