[R-sig-Geo] Global layers at resolutions 100 m, 250 m, 1 km available as Cloud-Optimized GeoTIFFs

Tomislav Hengl tom@heng| @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Feb 1 22:37:10 CET 2021

The OpenLandMap.org layers are now also available as Cloud-Optimized
GeoTIFFs (produced using https://gdal.org/drivers/raster/cog.html) via our
Wasabi.com service. We currently have about 10TB of data on Wasabi and plan
to upload also a majority of analysis-ready MODIS, Proba-V, Landsat /
Sentinel products in 2021.

A worked-out tutorial how to access the OpenLandMap.org
<http://www.OpenLandMap.org> layers using COG is available here:

https://gitlab.com/openlandmap/global-layers/-/blob/master/tutorial/OpenLandMap_COG_tutorial.md

The list of layers available and their details can be found here:

https://api.openlandmap.org/query/populate

We especially recommend using the terra package (
https://rspatial.org/terra/pkg/index.html) to overlay and crop images to
match your study area, but in principle any GDAL compatible R package
should also work without problems. A worked-out tutorial on how to access
EU layers in Python is also available here:

https://gitlab.com/geoharmonizer_inea/eumap/-/blob/master/demo/python/05_cloud_optimized_geotiff.ipynb

Please do NOT use Wasabi.com to download whole images as your IP address
might be eventually blocked. If you wish to download whole world data,
please use instead:

https://zenodo.org/search?page=1&size=20&q=openlandmap

If you are producing global datasets and need hosting / would like to
publish your data via www.OpenLandMap.org, please read these instructions:
https://opengeohub.org/submitting-global-layers-inclusion-landgis

If you experience any issues or discover a bug with www.OpenLandMap.org
please report via: