[R-sig-Geo] R crashes when reading geopackage files with st_read (sf package) in macOS

Roger Bivand Roger@B|v@nd @end|ng |rom nhh@no
Fri Apr 2 13:01:24 CEST 2021

On Wed, 31 Mar 2021, Manuel Spínola wrote:

> Thank you very much Roger.
>
> I can read shapefile without any problem with st_read.
>
> I think it works for both versions, but definitely is working with the
> binary version.

I really feel that you should remove all traces of your source installs of
PROJ, GDAL and GEOS and anything they installed, and should rely only on
CRAN binary packages. Do not accept any suggestions to install R packages
from source. However, if other software that you use regularly needs PROJ,
GDAL, GEOS, they may be present and may interfere with R packages. CRAN
binary packages are built static, so do not need other dylibs, but have
files under share/ in their own space that may conflict.

> How can I work around the problem with libsqlite3?

How was the version of libsqlite3 that GDAL links to installed? How would
one

> How can I install the GDAL, PROJ and GEOS without being from source?

What do you need them for - if only for R packages, just don't install
them.

A further alternative - consider installing from

https://r-spatial.r-universe.dev/ui#builds

These track the development versions of packages, but should be OK.

Please report back whether any of these can read (and write) GPKG.

Roger