[R-sig-Geo] Reprojection doubt

Michael Sumner md@umner @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Nov 6 02:30:48 CET 2020

It probably doesn't matter at all. Your data is longitude,latitude on datum
WGS84? Those strings are equivalent (some softwares will flip the order of
lon,lat as that's what the standard dictates but easy to spot that
usually).

raster::projection(), raster::crs(), sp::proj4string() all are fairly
equivalent functions, they just get the projection metadata - they are just
overlapping and inconsistent because of historical vagarie, they differ in
ideological stance and how much checking and churn they do to the metadata
and in efforts to interpret your intentions. But on the face of it I don't
think you need to worry about your code here.

Just keep an eye on whether your data looks right, before and after
reprojection. It takes care, but the details are yours alone for checking
unless you can pin down a reproducible example that raises questions.

Good luck.

fwiw you seem to not be doing anything with ncdf4 (or ncdf4::nc_open) here.
the raster package *uses* ncdf4 on your behalf via raster()/stack()/brick()
functions.

Cheers, Mike.