[R-sig-Geo] Question about function COORDINATES in SP PACKAGE

Pietro Andre Telatin Paschoalino p|etro_te|@to @end|ng |rom hotm@||@com
Wed Nov 4 14:59:45 CET 2020

Hi Roger,

What do you mean by hole? Non-contiguous regions? If so, I don't think it's a problem, because I don't have any non-contiguous regions. I have a blank polygon that is not computed because it is a lake (it is blank).

I am using coordinates to build spatial weight matrices to use in spatial regression / geographically weighted regressions.

Pietro Andre Telatin Paschoalino
Doutorando em Ciências Econômicas da Universidade Estadual de Maringá - PCE.

________________________________
De: Roger Bivand <Roger.Bivand using nhh.no>
Enviado: quarta-feira, 4 de novembro de 2020 10:38
Para: Pietro Andre Telatin Paschoalino <Pietro_telato using hotmail.com>
Cc: r-sig-geo using r-project.org <r-sig-geo using r-project.org>
Assunto: Re: [R-sig-Geo] Question about function COORDINATES in SP PACKAGE

On Wed, 4 Nov 2020, Pietro Andre Telatin Paschoalino wrote:

> Hello everyone.
>
> Could anyone help with a small question about the coordinates in sp
> package function?
>
> I want to retrieve the geographic coordinates of polygons (shape file),
> and reading the documentation, I did not find out if these coordinates
> refer to the centroid of polygon.
>
> So, in fact, do such coordinates refer to the centroid of each polygon?

Yes, they report the centroid of the largest polygon, but may not handle
holes correctly. Why do you need to retreive the complete set of
coordinates? That would be much easier using the sf package, but is seldom
needed.

Roger

> Thanks.
>
> Pietro Andre Telatin Paschoalino
> Doutorando em Ci�ncias Econ�micas da Universidade Estadual de Maring� - PCE.

Helleveien 30, N-5045 Bergen, Norway.
voice: +47 55 95 93 55; e-mail: Roger.Bivand using nhh.no
https://orcid.org/0000-0003-2392-6140