[R-sig-Geo] Error when saving an sf (data) object to file as a shapefile

Bede-Fazekas Ákos b|@|ev||@t @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sat Jun 20 11:14:16 CEST 2020

Dear Lom,

Since you did not provide reproducible example, I can only guess...
You used merge(, all.y = TRUE). This might produce an sf object of type
GEOMETRY and some "GEOMETRYCOLLECTION EMPTY" in the geometry column, if
some of the key values of y (balance5) are not found in the key values
of x (parcel1). ESRI shapefile cannot accept mixed geometries, this
might be the reason that you cannot write the dataset to shp format.

HTH,
Ákos Bede-Fazekas
Hungarian Academy of Sciences