[R-sig-Geo] Package lwgeom (0.2-4) fails to install on Shinyapps.io with an "upgrade GEOS to 3.6.0 or later" error

Edzer Pebesma edzer@pebe@m@ @end|ng |rom un|-muen@ter@de
Wed Jun 3 18:52:06 CEST 2020

R package lwgeom had to upgrade to a newer version of liblwgeom (now a
subdirectory in the PostGIS source tree, really) because of the new PROJ
versions and deprecation of the old PROJ interface; PostGIS requires the
newer GEOS version.

I have no control over versions of GEOS that are run on the shinyapps.io
machines, and don't know which OS at which version they run. I also have
no clue how one could debug this issue.

One could try to patch the install file,
https://github.com/rstudio/shinyapps-package-dependencies/blob/master/packages/lwgeom/install
such that it installs a newer GEOS (maybe binary from another ppa,
otherwise from source).