[R-sig-Geo] Question on symmetric for nb2mat

Andrea Gilardi @@g||@rd|5 @end|ng |rom c@mpu@@un|m|b@|t
Wed Jul 29 21:38:38 CEST 2020

Dear Prof. Bivand, thank you very much for the super quick reply and fix.
The approach using *spatialreg* and as(x, "CsparseMatrix") works perfectly.

This step makes little sense - why is it included?

I included the Cholesky decomposition since I found this problem while I
was estimating the Cholesky decomposition of a precision matrix in a
multivariate CAR model (as you probably guessed) and the function *chol *was
complaining that D - alpha * W was not symmetric (where D is a diagonal
matrix with the total number of neighbours for each spatial unit and alpha
is the parameter controlling the strength in the proper CAR model). D is
clearly symmetric by construction so the problem was with W and I couldn't
understand why. I did not include all the details about how or why I found
the error because I think they were not important but, unfortunately, the
example with *chol(W)* is also meaningless.

Anyway thank you very much for the solution and the other suggestions.
Kind regards
Andrea