[R-sig-Geo] reading an ESRI grid into R

Michael Sumner md@umner @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Feb 10 20:48:01 CET 2020

What you've done is perfectly fine. The raster() function invokes the GDAL
library to do the read, via the rgdal package. It doesn't read any data at
first, so dem is just a metadata shell that raster works with - if you plot
or crop or extract that triggers the actual data read as needed.

You might also try the stars package, to keep it lazy and not read all the
data at first start with the proxy argument:

dem_stars <-
stars::read_stars("./Elevation_GRID/NA_Elevation/data/NA_Elevation/na_elevation/w001001.adf",
proxy = TRUE)

This also uses GDAL but does it with code internal to the sf package. These
are pretty much analogous, but stars can do more when grids are more
general.

The GDAL details for this format are here
https://gdal.org/drivers/raster/arcinfo_grid_format.html

Cheers, Mike