[R-sig-Geo] library rgdal 1.5-15 installation failed

Roger Bivand Roger@B|v@nd @end|ng |rom nhh@no
Thu Aug 6 12:17:58 CEST 2020

A known problem for users of outdated PROJ and GDAL; work-around

install.packages("rgdal", repos="http://R-Forge.R-project.org")

until next release (submission when
https://cran.r-project.org/web/checks/check_results_rgdal.html updates to
1.5-15 for all platforms).

Error initially trapped by the Solaris platform in CRAN package checks,
thanks to Brian Ripley for alerting me that I had omitted to check the
package with outdated PROJ/GDAL before submission; error not trapped by
the CRAN submission system because those platforms use recent PROJ/GDAL.

As package maintainer, I recommend (strongly) staying as close to current
system requirements as possible, because those version fix often serious
bugs and offer much enhanced processing. In the case of PROJ/GDAL, from
PROJ >= 6 and GDAL >= 3, the data models and APIs change radically, and we
cannot be sure that we can test for outdated versions (this happened in
this case because of a rushed release to fix a different problem).

I believe that things should still avoid failing, but will be more and
more outdated. The gate for outdated PROJ/GDAL has to be kept open for
really bad choices (legacy OS versions without available builds of more
recent versions of GDAL and PROJ). However, as in this case, it may not be
possible to test for dozens of external system requirements combinations,
including reverse dependency checks for almost 900 packages using rgdal
and rgdal through raster. Revdeps run yesterday with the development
version of rgdal and PROJ 5.2.0 / GDAL 2.2.4 show no remaining problems
caused by rgdal.

Users are strongly encouraged to move to as recent PROJ and GDAL releases
as possible; CRAN Windows binaries (and shortly OSX binaries) are fairly
recent. A maintainer's life is rarely a happy one ...

Roger