[R-sig-Geo] Warning in fit.variogram: value out of range in 'bessel k' | automap and gstat packages

Frederico Faleiro |v|@|e|ro @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Sep 13 23:16:22 CEST 2019

Hi Jon and others,

thank you for your help. The problem is really in the Ste model (Matern, M.
Stein's parameterization). The warning only happens
when I execute this model. However in the gstat with the same parameters
for lambda have problem of convergency. Do you think the gstat have
different bevavior to the same issue?

av <- autofitVariogram(jan~1, pr, model = "Ste", verbose = T)
# In fit.variogram(experimental_variogram, model = vgm(psill = psill,  ...
:  value out of range in 'bessel_k'

# define the same kappa values of automap
seq.k <- c(0.05, seq(0.2, 2, 0.1), 5, 10)
ve <- variogram(jan~1, pr)
v <- fit.variogram(v, vgm("Ste"), fit.kappa = seq.k)
Warning messages:
1: In fit.variogram(object, model, fit.sills = fit.sills, fit.ranges =
fit.ranges,  :
  No convergence after 200 iterations: try different initial values?
2: In fit.variogram(object, model, fit.sills = fit.sills, fit.ranges =
fit.ranges,  :
  No convergence after 200 iterations: try different initial values?
3: In fit.variogram(o, m, fit.kappa = FALSE, fit.method = fit.method,  :
  No convergence after 200 iterations: try different initial values?

Best regards,

Frederico