[R-sig-Geo] poly2nb neighbour itself should be considered a neighbour

Elias T. Krainski e||@@kr@|n@k| @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sun Nov 3 23:36:41 CET 2019

Hello,

I found this matter easier when working with matrix representations. Set

  A^0 = I (identity matrix),

  A^1 = A, where A_{ij} = 1 if j is neighbor to j and zero otherwise
(this consider A_{ii} = 0)

  A^2 = A'A

  A^3 = A'A^2 and so on

The A^k_{ij} entry gives _how many steps of length k there is between i
and j_. To me, this definition makes this matter clear. See an example
considering a 10x10 regular grid:

nb <- grid2nb(d=c(10,10), queen = FALSE)
nn <- card(nb)
A1 <- sparseMatrix(
  i = rep(1:length(nn), nn),
  j = unlist(nb[nn>0]), x=1)