[R-sig-Geo] [FORGED] Create a Spatial Weight Matrix based on road distance

Andres Diaz Loaiza m@d|@z| @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Jun 21 11:53:01 CEST 2019

Dear Rolando,

The advantage of using Open Street Maps engine is that you can give the
travel option. This means you can select whether are you traveling by bike,
car or walking. The previous approach didn't consider this topic. For this,
you should have added a vector layer depending on your position of the
street you can take (or not). Open Street Maps project allow you two
you want to reach and your transport method (giving you back the fastest
route). Or the option to download the engine/algorithm compile by yourself
(if I am not wrong is made in C or python) and then you can make your own
calculation at your own computer. For the first option, the package OSRM is
an interface in which send a request to the OSM web page and wait for an
answer. With this method, you can send a couple of request at the same time
but no to many (you should read the manual for this). Of course, also will
depend on whether the OSM server is down or not (or busy).

I have to say that I used some years ago this app and nowadays I know that
for some cities OSM has more streets reported than the same google maps.
Also is an open project and they let you download their data for free,
contrary to what google maps do.

All the best,

Andres

Andrés D.