[R-sig-Geo] Error in lag.listw(listw2, u) : Variable contains non-finite values - panel spatial model using splm

Roger Bivand Roger@B|v@nd @end|ng |rom nhh@no
Mon Jun 10 19:42:49 CEST 2019

On Mon, 10 Jun 2019, Marco Mello via R-sig-Geo wrote:

> Dear community,

Please post plain text, not HTML, easier to copy and paste into an R
session.

> I am working on a panel spatial model in R using the package splm. In
> particular I am trying to estimate the following model
>
> spatpan<-spml(y ~ x, data = data_p, index = NULL, listw = W30, na.action
> = na.fail, lag = TRUE, spatial.error = "b", model = "within", effect =
> "twoways",zero.policy=TRUE)
>
> but I get the following error and warnings:
>
> Error in lag.listw(listw2, u) : Variable contains non-finite values
> In addition: Warning messages:
> 1: In lag.listw(listw, u) : NAs in lagged values
> 2: In lag.listw(listw, u) : NAs in lagged values
> 3: In lag.listw(listw2, u) : NAs in lagged values
> 4: In lag.listw(listw2, u) : NAs in lagged values

This is not a reproducible example. Such an example is needed unless you
can run traceback() and debug() yourself to solve the problem, but since
you have posted, I assume you prefer that someone else runs debug() - and
someone will then need a reproducible example, preferably with an adapted
standard dataset (add NAs to Produc?).

I seem to recall that zero.policy= was not always passed through in some
model fitting functions, possibly in splm. If so, set the option with
spatialreg::set.ZeroPolicyOption(TRUE) and/or
spdep::set.ZeroPolicyOption(TRUE)
to avoid that issue if it is present and biting. Of course, had I had a
reproducible example, I could have checked and given clearer advice.

> Similarly, if I model the spatial correlation only for the error term,
>
> spatpan<-spml(y ~ x, data = data_p, index = NULL, listw = W30, na.action
> = na.fail, lag = FALSE, spatial.error = "b", model = "within", effect =
> "twoways",zero.policy=TRUE)
>
> I get the following warnings
>
> 1: In lag.listw(listw, u) : NAs in lagged values

> 3: In lag.listw(listw, TT) : NAs in lagged values

> 35: In optimize(sarpanelerror, interval = interval, maximum = TRUE, ... :
> NA/Inf replaced by maximum positive value

> In this case however the model turns out to be estimated, despite the
> standard errors are everywhere NAs and the spatial rho coefficient equal
> to 1 with weird t stats and p-values.
>
> An identical problem to mine was already signalled in this mailing list,
> unfortunately without receiving any suggestion :
> http://r-sig-geo.2731867.n2.nabble.com/problems-using-spml-with-a-listw-where-not-everybody-has-a-neighbour-td7587857.html.

Nabble is only an archive, the real link is:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-geo/2015-March/022428.html

The posting also gave no reproducible example, so nobody had anything to
work on.

Hope this helps,

Roger