[R-sig-Geo] Calculating impact measures for spatial panel models and trouble specifying SDEM model using spml

Letisha Sarah Fong Rui Zhen geo|@|rz @end|ng |rom nu@@edu@@g
Thu Jul 25 11:16:43 CEST 2019

Dear Roger,

Thank you for your quick response.

I have uploaded the spatial weights matrix and sample dataset I'm working with here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1NjCODKEix-_nA5CfiIos6uiKAUbGp_BZ?usp=sharing

Reading the data in and transforming them into a pdataframe and listw, respectively:
spatialweight <- read.csv("spatialweight.csv", header = T)
row.names(spatialweight) <- spatialweight$X
spatialweight <- spatialweight[, -1]
spatialweight.mat <- as.matrix(spatialweight)
mylistw <- mat2listw(spatialweight.mat, style = "M")
mydata <- read.csv("sampledata.csv", header = T)
mydata <- pdata.frame(mydata, index = c("Country", "Year"))

I first ran a non-spatial model to determine the best specification for fixed effects:

nonspatial.pooledOLS <- plm(lnY ~ lnGDP + lnGDP2 + U + RE + IS + lnEI, data = mydata, model = "pooling")
nonspatial.individualFE <- plm(lnY ~ lnGDP + lnGDP2 + U + RE + IS + lnEI, data = mydata, model = "within", effect = "individual")
nonspatial.timeFE <- plm(lnY ~ lnGDP + lnGDP2 + U + RE + IS + lnEI, data = mydata, model = "within", effect = "time")
nonspatial.twowayFE <- plm(lnY ~ lnGDP + lnGDP2 + U + RE + IS + lnEI, data = mydata, model = "within", effect = "twoways")

I would like to compare these models based on log likelihood and AIC, but the plm() function does not appear to provide a log likelihood or AIC. I have read through the JSS plm article and it states that models made with the plm() function are "estimated using the lm function to the transformed data". I'm aware that we can use logLik() and AIC() for a model estimated with the lm() function. However it doesn't seem to work with the plm() function.

For example, I did logLik(nonspatial.twowayFE) and AIC(nonspatial.twowayFE) but the error message for both is:

Error in UseMethod("logLik") :
  no applicable method for 'logLik' applied to an object of class "c('plm', 'panelmodel')"

Please let me know if I'm calling the wrong function(s) and/or if you're aware of a way to compare these models based on log likelihood and/or AIC.

For the spatial models, here is my code:

spatial.SDEM <- spml(lnY ~ lnGDP + lnGDP2 + U + RE + IS + lnEI + slag(lnGDP, listw = mylistw) + slag(lnGDP2, listw = mylistw) + slag(lnEI, listw = mylistw), data = mydata, listw = mylistw, model = "within", effect = "twoways", lag = F, spatial.error = "b")
spatial.SEM <- spml(lnY ~ lnGDP + lnGDP2 + U + RE + IS + lnEI, data = mydata, listw = mylistw, model = "within", effect = "individual", lag = F, spatial.error = "b")
spatial.SLX <- plm(lnY ~ lnGDP + lnGDP2 + U + RE + IS + lnEI + slag(lnGDP, listw = mylistw) + slag(lnGDP2, listw = mylistw) + slag(lnEI, listw = mylistw), data = mydata, model = "within", effect = "individual")

As in my original post, the SLX and SEM models ran OK but the error when I try to run the SDEM model is:

Error in UseMethod("slag") :
  no applicable method for 'slag' applied to an object of class "c('double', 'numeric')"

The variables that I use the slag() function on are all numeric, so I don't know what's wrong. I seem to be able to use slag() with plm() but not with spml(), but I don't know why this is so.

I need to compare the models to see if SDEM can be reduced to one of its nested form. As was the case of the non-spatial models, I can't get the log likelihood for models created with the plm() function, so any suggestions are welcome. I've already read through the JSS articles for splm and plm as well as both documentations and there's no information on this (except that models built with the plm() function are estimated using the lm function to the transformed data).

Thanks for clarifying the impact measures for SDEM and SLX. Just to check - when you say linear combination for standard errors do you mean e.g. beta1*se + theta1*se = totalse (where beta1 is the coefficient of the direct impact and theta1 is the coefficient of the indirect impact)?

Thank you for your help!

Best wishes,
Sarah