[R-sig-Geo] LR1.sarlm specifications

Roger Bivand Roger@B|v@nd @end|ng |rom nhh@no
Thu Jul 11 09:27:50 CEST 2019

On Thu, 11 Jul 2019, Amitha Puranik wrote:

> Hi Prof. Roger,
>
> I am using the approach proposed by Prof Paul Erhorst for choosing a
> spatial model in his paper '*Applied spatial econometrics: raising the
> bar*' . As per the strategy, one has to check the likelihood ratio test
> for theta (spatial autocorrelation in exogenous (independent) variables)
> and also in theta+rho*beta (spatial autocorrelation in residuals).
> Suppose I fit a spatial durbin model and use the code LR1.sarlm(sp.dm),
> how would I know whether the likelihood ratio test checks for
> autocorrelation in dependent variable or autocorrelation in the
> independent variable?

The spatialreg::LR1.sarlm() test simply between the fitted model and the
same model assuming the spatial coefficients are zero, so it only tests
the possible benefit of including (a) spatial process(es).
spatialreg::LR.sarlm() lets you test between nested models, and works like
lmtest::lrtest(). The models need to be nested, so you can test SDM/SLM,
SDM/SEM (equivalent to a Common Factor test), and so on, but only if the
models nest (not SEM/SLM, because they do not nest).

Hope this helps,

Roger