[R-sig-Geo] Running huge dataset with dnearneigh

Roger Bivand Roger@B|v@nd @end|ng |rom nhh@no
Tue Jul 2 09:48:45 CEST 2019

On Tue, 2 Jul 2019, Jiawen Ng wrote:

> Dear Roger,
>
> Thanks for your reply and explanation!
>
> I am just exploring the aspect of geodemographics in store locations. There
> are many factors that can be considered, as you have highlighted!

OK, so I suggest choosing a modest sized case until a selection of working
models emerges. Once you reach that stage, you can return to scaling up. I
think you need much more data on the customer behaviour around the stores
you use to train your models, particularly customer flows associated with
actual purchases. Firms used to do this through loyalty programmes and
cards, but this data is not open, so you'd need proxies which say city
bikes will not give you.

Geodemographics (used for direct mailing as a marketing tool) have largely
been eclipsed by profiling in social media with the exception of segments
without social media profiles. This is because postcode or OA profiling is
often too noisy and so is expensive because there are many false hits.
Retail is interesting but very multi-faceted, but some personal services
are more closely related to population as they are hard to digitise.

Hope this helps,

Roger