[R-sig-Geo] spatial autocorrelation in GAM residuals for large data set

Roger Bivand Roger@B|v@nd @end|ng |rom nhh@no
Wed Aug 21 17:15:54 CEST 2019

On Wed, 21 Aug 2019, Elizabeth Webb wrote:

> Thank you, Roger for your help.   A quick follow-up:
>
> What do you mean when you say "Use one of the approaches described in
> the tutorial and you may be OK, but you should not trust the outcome of
> Moran's I on residuals without using an appropriate variant." ?  Or in
> other words, what is an appropriate variant in this context?

From Cliff & Ord (1973), we know that using the standard version of
Moran's I on OLS residuals is flawed, and they therefore proposed an
alternative taking into account the fact that the fitted values - needed
to calculate the residuals - depend on the fitted model, see the
differences that appear between running spdep::moran.test(...,
randomisation=FALSE) and lm.morantest(mod, ...) as one adds in covariates
in addition to the intercept. With just the intercept, they are identical,
as covariates are added, they diverge.

As of now, appropriate tests are not available for models other than OLS,
so one cannot take results as more than indicative. There has been work
moving from just lm() to glm() because the RHS may be seen as linear in
the covariates, but we don't have control of the distribution of the
residuals.

The problem is not widely discussed because it is intractable.

Had your pixels formed a rectangle, it might have been possible to use a
Moran eigenvector approach, as such approaches may use analytical
eigenvectors, but I am not aware of such work; proponents of Moran
eigenvectors claim that their use with larger data sets is possible; I
don't know what size data works in the spmoran package using ME.

Hope this helps,

Roger

https://orcid.org/0000-0003-2392-6140