[R-sig-Geo] Possible proj.4-related error coming when specifying CRS for raster

Alex Zvoleff @zvo|e|| @end|ng |rom con@erv@t|on@org
Fri Apr 26 14:37:37 CEST 2019

Hi all,

Recently the glcm package I maintain has started throwing errors on all of the Linux-based CRAN test servers. The errors come when checking the examples included in the package. I have not been able to reproduce these errors locally on Linux (Ubuntu 18.04 running r-release and r-devel) or on Windows 10 (r-release and r-devel). The errors also don't come up on any of the r-hub servers.

Here is an example error from the CRAN test server:

> require(raster)
> set.seed(0)
> test_matrix <- matrix(runif(100)*32, nrow=10)
> test_raster <- raster(test_matrix, crs='+init=EPSG:4326')
Error in CRS(as.character(projection(crs))) :
  no arguments in initialization list
Calls: raster ... raster -> .local -> raster -> raster -> .local -> CRS
Execution halted

(full output here: https://www.r-project.org/nosvn/R.check/r-devel-linux-x86_64-debian-clang/glcm-00check.html)

The CRAN maintainers suggested I run R CMD check with _R_CHECK_SUGGESTS_ONLY_=FALSE, but that hasn't worked - even when the env variable is set I still don't see the error on my end. Given that, they suggested I reach out here. From the error message I assume the error is something related to proj.4 not being able to interpret the EPSG code (though this would seem odd for 4326). I have tested this locally on proj.4 versions 4.9.3 and 5.2.0, but I can't reproduce the error I am getting from the CRAN server on either version. Has anyone else encountered something like this? If not, any idea whether I am on the right track?

Thanks,
Alex

--
Alex Zvoleff, PhD