[R-sig-Geo] Creating a color shade between upper and lower bounds of a line plot in R

r@i@1290 m@iii@g oii @im@com r@i@1290 m@iii@g oii @im@com
Fri Apr 5 19:40:12 CEST 2019

Ah, I see.

But let's say I had 10 lines on the same plot and wanted to shade green between them. Would this still work, or it only works for 2 lines?
Also, for the "rev" function in there, I noticed that it does not actually "reverse" anything, but is it necessary?
Thanks, again.
-----Original Message-----
From: David L Carlson <dcarlson using tamu.edu>
To: rain1290 using aim.com <rain1290 using aim.com>; r-sig-geo using r-project.org <r-sig-geo using r-project.org>
Sent: Fri, Apr 5, 2019 12:59 pm
Subject: RE: [R-sig-Geo] Creating a color shade between upper and lower bounds of a line plot in R

The two lines can have different x coordinates. We are defining the boundaries of the polygon by tracing clockwise or counterclockwise around it, e.g. In this example we follow the top line from beginning to end and then follow the bottom line from end back to beginning. The function automatically connects the beginning and end points to define the polygon and then shades it. The x values do not need to be the same for the two lines, e.g.

lines(x1, y1)
lines(x2, y2)
polygon(c(x1, rev(x2)), c(y1, rev(y1)))

Things are a bit trickier if you want the polygon to start and end at the edge of the plot window. You can get the coordinates of the plot window boundaries with the following:

par("usr")
# [1]  0.04 25.96 -0.20  5.20

This gives the left lower corner (.04, -.02) and the upper right corner (25.96, 5.20). We only need the x values: .04 on the left and 25.96 on the right. We insert x-coordinates into the polygon, but we have to compute the y-axis values at .04 and 25.96 using the formulae you are using to define those lines.

x <- 1:25
y1 <- sqrt(x)
y2 <- x/6
y3 <- y2 + .5
plot(x, y1, typ="l", ylim=c(0, 5))
lines(x, y2)
lines(x, y3)
greena <- rgb(0, 255/255, 0, .5)

edge <- par("usr")
polygon(c(edge[1], x, 25.96, 25.96, rev(x), edge[1]) ,
    c(sqrt(edge[1]), y1, sqrt(edge[2]), edge[2]/6, rev(y2), edge[1]/6),
    col=greena)

David L Carlson
Department of Anthropology
Texas A&M University