[R-sig-Geo] Leaflet map nested in RShiny App - Improving speed & portability

Erin Stearns e@te@rn@88 @ending from gm@il@com
Wed Sep 5 01:56:35 CEST 2018

Hello all!

I hope this message finds you all well!

I have 2 questions pertaining to the creation of interactive maps via
Leaflet nested inside an RShiny app. One question has to do with
computation while the other has to do with sharing/off-line interactivity.

*Project description:*
I am creating a global map depicting binary malaria risk (at risk, not at
risk) at the Admin 2 level(current state only uses 5 countries and can be
found here <https://erstearns.shinyapps.io/malariarisk5/>).  I am using an
ESRI base map, then a polygons shapefile containing geometry and attributes
(geographical hierarchy & risk).

*Computation question*
As you see, the RShiny app takes quite a bit of time to render. Does anyone
have any suggestions for improving this? As previously said, this version
only contains 5 countries, thus I cannot continue with my current method to
reach a global map. I have considered finding centroids of all Admin 2
polygons and retaining attribute information here, then rasterizing the
malaria risk shapefile for visualization and using the 2 instead of a
single shapefile with polygon boundaries and attributes.

*Sharing the app/offline interactivity*
I am planning to share this with people who likely do not have R installed
on their laptops nor have they ever coded. Does anyone have any suggestions
for the best way to do this while retaining interactivity?

Thank you all, any insight is greatly appreciated.

Best,
Erin