[R-sig-Geo] Will upcoming ggplot2::calc() clash with raster::calc()?

Barry Rowlingson b@rowling@on @ending from l@nc@@ter@@c@uk
Wed May 16 18:42:14 CEST 2018

It seems the options are:

1. ggplot2 and raster use calc - scripts will have to use raster::calc or
ggplot2::calc to be ambiguous.

 This is the painful solution. Scripts will break. Users will have to type
raster::calc or ggplot2::calc depending on the order they do
library(raster);library(ggplot2). Both packages are often used together.

2. `calc` becomes a "generic" and despatches to the right specific function
when called on a raster or whatever ggplot2::calc needs.

 This either requires "ggplot2" to have "raster" as a dependency or for the
generic to be moved to a package that each of these will depend on. An S3
or S4 generic? Will it even work? Nobody wants to manage the dependency.

3. Use a different name in `ggplot2`, for example, `val`, which has the
same sense - compare:

   geom_histogram(aes(y = *calc*(count)))
   geom_histogram(aes(y = *val*(count)))

4. ggplot2 does something else - maybe the aesthetic could be specified as
a formula?

  geom_histogram(aes(y = ~count))

 but that would require a chunk of ggplot2 rewriting

Barry