[R-sig-Geo] Spatiotemporal autocorrelation in R

Laura Cabral lc@br@l @ending from u@lbert@@c@
Thu Jun 7 20:02:41 CEST 2018

Hello All,

I have been reading about spatiotemporal autocorrelation and slowly familiarizing myself with the concepts involved. I have also been combing through the CRAN spatiotemporal task view, but I can’t seem to find the appropriate package/function for my purposes.

What I want to do:
I have two series of count data each for the same times and locations. Both series have been ordered from lowest count to highest count. I would like to identify where/when in space-time the series are similar (low-low count clusters, high-high count clusters) and where they do not correspond (high-low or low-high). Really, I am looking for a Moran’s I type index which can handle spatiotemporal data. I know this type of index has been developed (see for example Shen, Li and Si, 2016 - Spatiotemporal autocorrelation measures for nonstationary series), but I am unsure whether any of it has been translated into an R package/function. I do not (yet) have the mathematical/statistical/programming knowledge to implement those myself.

What I don’t want to do:
I have seen quite a bit of discussions or packages aimed at detrending or modelling the data. I do not need these functionalities. I have also seen separate handling of spatial and temporal autocorrelation for the same dataset. I would prefer an integrated index, if that is possible.

I feel like I might be looking for the wrong keywords, so any keywords, packages, functions, tutorials, videos, etc. that you could recommend would be greatly beneficial. As I mentioned, I am still familiarizing myself with spatiotemporal autocorrelation concepts, so if I seem to be approaching this from the completely wrong angle, please let me know!

Thank you all for your help,

Laura Cabral

MSc Candidate in Transportation Engineering

Dept of Civil and Environmental Engineering

University of Alberta

lcabral using ualberta.ca <mailto:lcabral using ualberta.ca>
819 993-1901

The University of Alberta is located in ᐊᒥᐢᑿᒌᐚᐢᑲᐦᐃᑲᐣ (Amiskwacîwâskahikan) on Treaty 6 territory, homeland of the Papaschase and the Métis Nation