[R-sig-Geo] How to find all first order neighbors of a collection of points

Roger Bivand Roger@Biv@nd @ending from nhh@no
Fri Jul 13 13:26:08 CEST 2018

On Fri, 13 Jul 2018, Benjamin Lieberman wrote:

> Roger anf Facu,
>
> Thank you very much for the help. In terms of the data, I only provided
> the ID and Lat/Long pairs because they were the only covariates which
> were necessary. The data set we are using was purchased and contains
> voter registration information, voter history, and census tract
> information, after some geocoding took place. The locations are the
> residents houses, in this instance.
>
> I have rerun the knn with longlat = T, but I am still hung up on the
> idea of the first order neighbors. I have reread the vignette and
> section 5 discusses High-Order Neighbors, but there isn’t any mention of
> first or second order neighbors, as you mentioned above (“first order
> neighbors are not defined”). One of the pieces of literature I found
> said that polygons are problematic to work with, as are tesslations for
> precisely the reason you mentioned, non-planarity. For this reason, I am
> hung up on the idea of how to find all first order neighbors for a
> point, especially as the number of first order neighbors varies from
> point to point, and such knearneigh would not be appropriate here.

So project them, and use Euclidean distances in distance or graph-based
methods (or knn). You still have not defined "first order neighbors". That
is your call alone. If you believe that voter behaviour is like a
contagious disease, define contagion, and from that "first order
neighbours". If you are simply accounting for missing background
covariates that have a larger spatial footprint rather than voter-voter
interaction, it probably doesn't matter much. What is the implied model
here - that voters behave by observing the behaviour of their proximate
neighbours (giving similar behaviour for near neighbours) or that voters
are patched/segregated by residence, and near neighbours behave similarly
not because of information spillovers between voters, but because the
voters are subject to aggregate social/economic conditions?

Roger

> If this is something that does not seem feasible, maybe another tactic
> is necessary.
>
> Again, thank you all for the help.
>
> Warmest
> --
> Benjamin Lieberman
> Muhlenberg College 2019
> Mobile: 301.299.8928
>
>> On Jul 13, 2018, at 6:11 AM, Roger Bivand <Roger.Bivand using nhh.no> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 13 Jul 2018, Facundo Muñoz wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Benjamin,
>>>
>>> I'm not sure how you define "first order neighbors" for a point. The
>>> first thing that comes to my mind is to use their corresponding voronoi
>>> polygons and define neighborhood from there. Following your code:
>>
>> Thanks, the main source of confusion is that "first order neighbors" are not defined. A k=1 neighbour could be (as below), as could k=6, or voronoi neighbours, or sphere of influence etc. So reading vignette("nb") would be a starting point.
>>
>> Also note that voronoi and other graph-based neighbours should only use planar coordinates - including dismo::voronoi, which uses deldir::deldir() - just like spdep::tri2nb(). Triangulation can lead to spurious neighbours on the convex hull.
>>

>>> v <- dismo::voronoi(coords)
>>> par(mfrow = c(1, 2), xaxt = "n", yaxt = "n", mgp = c(0, 0, 0))
>>> plot(coords, type = "n", xlab = NA, ylab = NA)
>>> plot(v, add = TRUE)
>>> text(x = coords[, 1], y = coords[, 2], labels = voter.subset$Voter.ID)