[R-sig-Geo] Help installing lwgeom on macOS

Kent Johnson kent3737 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 20:33:30 CET 2018

I am trying to install lwgeom 0.1-4 from source on macOS 10.13.3.

First try:
R CMD INSTALL lwgeom_0.1-4.tar.gz
checking for geos-config... no
no
configure: error: geos-config not found or not executable.

Second try:
R CMD INSTALL lwgeom_0.1-4.tar.gz
--configure-args='-with-geos-config=/Library/Frameworks/GEOS.framework/Versions/3/unix/bin/geos-config'
configure: geos-config set to
/Library/Frameworks/GEOS.framework/Versions/3/unix/bin/geos-config
checking geos-config exists... yes
checking geos-config executable... yes
checking geos-config usability... yes
configure: GEOS: 3.6.1
checking GEOS version >= 3.3.0... yes
checking geos_c.h usability... no
checking geos_c.h presence... no
checking for geos_c.h... no
configure: error: geos_c.h not found in given locations.

I do have liblwgeom installed as part of Postgres.app. I have tried adding
--with-liblwgeom=/Applications/Postgres.app/Contents/Versions/10/lib/liblwgeom-2.4.0.dylib
to --configure-args with the same failure.

I have the framework version of GEOS installed from kyngchaos and tried
adding
--configure-vars='CPPFLAGS=-I/Library/Frameworks/GEOS.framework/Versions/3/Headers'
with the same failure.

I don't really know what I'm doing here so any help is appreciated. FWIW
I'm installing lwgeom to get access to the st_make_valid() function.

Thank you!
Kent Johnson