[R-sig-Geo] WPS client implementation in R

Dr. Benedikt Gräler b.graeler at 52north.org
Wed Feb 21 10:08:56 CET 2018

WPS is the acronym of the Web Processing Service - an OGC standard [1]
that specifies how some spatial process (adding two layers, buffering,
..., run-off models, ..., complex atmospheric models, ..., processes
running on large data sets, ...) can be wrapped in a server-side
service. The standard basically specifies how in- and output values are
submitted and received - pretty much like a function definition. A well
designed WPS can then be used with WPS clients (e.g. QGIS, ArcGIS, ...),
but also via a web browser [2,3], to perform the pre-defined process on
your data.

Hope that clarifies the previous discussions,

  Ben

[1] http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/wps
[2] http://geoprocessing.demo.52north.org:8080/wps-js-client/
[3] HowTo for [2]:
https://wiki.52north.org/Projects/SimpleQuakeMapAlgorithm

On 21/02/2018 00:55, Vijay Lulla wrote:
> Is WPS like Open Sound Control (OSC)?
>
> On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 11:30 AM, Barry Rowlingson <
> b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 3:51 PM, Javier Martínez-López <
>> javi.martinez.lopez at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> You can try OpenCPU (https://www.opencpu.org/). It works great!
>>>

>> I don't see anything WPS there. The advantage of implementing a WPS is that
>> it is then available to anything supporting the WPS standard, so you could
>> access your analysis from QGIS, for example.
>>
>>   If you implemented an analysis via some generic REST API you'd still have
>> to write some client code to interpret the outputs.
>>
>> Barry
>>
>>          [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Dr. Benedikt Gräler
52°North Initiative for Geospatial Open Source Software GmbH
Martin-Luther-King-Weg 24
48155 Muenster, Germany

E-Mail: b.graeler at 52north.org
Fon: +49-(0)-251/396371-39
Fax: +49-(0)-251/396371-11

http://52north.org/
Twitter: @FiveTwoN

General Managers: Dr. Albert Remke, Dr. Andreas Wytzisk
Local Court Muenster HRB 10849