[R-sig-Geo] how to create several polygons from a list of vertices

obrl soil obrl@oil@u @ending from gm@il@com
Wed Aug 15 01:25:06 CEST 2018

Hi Antonio,

have you tried with sf? Like:

library(sf)

pts <-
  tibble::tribble(~ID,  ~x,  ~y, ~grp,
                   1 , -33, -23,    1,
                   2 , -32, -23,    1,
                   3 , -32, -22,    1,
                   4 , -33, -22,    1,
                   5 , -32, -23,    2,
                   6 , -31, -23,    2,
                   7 , -31, -22,    2,
                   8 , -32, -22,    2,
                   9 , -31, -23,    3,
                   10, -30, -23,    3,
                   11, -30, -22,    3,
                   12, -31, -22,    3,
                   13, -33, -22,    4,
                   14, -32, -22,    4,
                   15, -32, -21,    4,
                   16, -33, -21,    4,
                   17, -32, -22,    5,
                   18, -31, -22,    5,
                   19, -31, -21,    5,
                   20, -32, -21,    5,
                   21, -31, -22,    6,
                   22, -30, -22,    6,
                   23, -30, -21,    6,
                   24, -31, -21,    6)

squares <- split(pts, pts$grp)
squares <- lapply(squares, function(g) {
  # get just coords
  g <- as.matrix(g[, c(2,3)])
  # repeat first point last to close poly
  g <- rbind(g, g[1, ])
  # convert to an sf polygon object
  gp <- sf::st_polygon(list(g))
  # make sure the vertices are in an order
  # that complies with the simple
  # features standard
  gp <- sf::st_buffer(gp, 0L)
})
# turn list of polygons into geometry column
squares_sfc <- sf::st_sfc(squares) # can add crs = ?? to this call
# add an ID to make an sf data frame
squares_sf <- sf::st_sf('ID' = seq(6), 'geometry' = squares_sfc)

# if you still need to use sp for whatever reason
squares_sp <- as(squares_sf, "Spatial")

Regards,
@obrl_soil

On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 8:03 AM, Antonio Silva <aolinto.lst using gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Lulla,
>
> Nice solution. I could also export it as a shapefile after transforming it
> to a spatial polygon dataframe.
>
> The problem is that I could not "individualize" the squares in a multipart
> layer. They all have the same ID. I tried to change this without success:
> "Single ID required".
>
> The attribute table of the shapefile should have 6 lines in my example and
> not only one.
>
> Any other option?
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Antonio Olinto
>

> Em ter, 14 de ago de 2018 às 18:10, Vijay Lulla <vijaylulla using gmail.com>
> escreveu:
>
>> Maybe something like this?
>>
>> poly <- SpatialPolygons(list(Polygons(tapply(seq_len(nrow(vertices)),
>>                                              vertices$cod,
>>                                              function(x)
>> Polygon(vertices[x,1:2])), ID="1")),
>>                         proj4string=CRS("+proj=longlat +ellps=WGS84
>> +datum=WGS84 +no_defs"))
>>

>> On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 4:17 PM Antonio Silva <aolinto.lst using gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have a data.frame with the vertices (lon / lat) and codes from several
>>> squares (more than 500 in the real dataset).
>>> I want to create an object with these polygons (squares) and after this
>>> export it as a shapefile.
>>> With the script below I can draw one square.
>>> library(sp)
>>> P1 = Polygon(vertices[1:4,1:2])
>>> Ps1 = SpatialPolygons(list(Polygons(list(P1), ID = "1")),
>>> proj4string=CRS("+proj=longlat +ellps=WGS84 +datum=WGS84 +no_defs"))
>>> plot(Ps1, axes = TRUE)
>>>
>>> Now I'm trying to create one object with all squares at once.
>>> Is it possible?
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot,
>>>
>>> Antônio Olinto
>>>
>>> sample data:vertices