[R-sig-Geo] bottom area of a lake calculation

Thomas Adams te@3rd @ending from gm@il@com
Wed Aug 8 16:06:20 CEST 2018

Sophie,

I think a reasonable approximation might be obtained:

(1) if you were to calculate the slope at each grid point using
r.slope.aspect
(2) use r.mapcalc to calculate A/cos(slope), where A is the pixel projected
area (e.g., 100mx100m = 10000 m^2) -- lat-long coordinates will not work.

Consequently, if the slope were approximately 0, cos(slope) approaches 1
and A/cos(slope) = A; as slope approaches 90 deg, cos(slope) becomes very
small, so A becomes very large. This works where the slope direction is
orthogonal to a pixel edge, so a correction to account for other slope
directions may be needed. But, with smaller grids, the error may be
negligible for you...

Tom