[R-sig-Geo] Why is the covariance in Universal Kriging modeled this way in lectures by Prof. Edzer Pebesma?

Joelle k. Akram chino_tones at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 22 22:23:39 CET 2017

thank you for clarifying Prof. Pebesma. I have a couple more question for you regarding the inclusion of a

nugget to the diagonals of V. As we know,there are 2 covariances, V and v; one for the existing coordinates (i.e., V) and the other for the distances between these existing coordinates and other new locations (i.e., v).

I) Assuming unscaled coordinates in latitude/longitude; should the Nugget theoretically be a small value (lets say typically less than <1) or does it depend on other the dataset's spatial distribution,etc?

2) When computing Beta coefficients as in you lecture 7 in github, do we have to add the nugget term to both V and v or only one of them?

thank you,

Chris Akram