[R-sig-Geo] Why PCNM (MEM) approach cannot remove spatial autocorrelation in the residuals?

niv de malach nivdemalach at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 11:19:36 CET 2017

Hi,
I am trying to include spatial eigenvectors ( in my regression using *dbmem
*command from *adespatial* package) in order to account for spatial
correlation. The problem is that even after including all the positive
eigenvectors there is still a positive significant spatial autocorrelation
in the residuals (based on Moran's I test). The magnitude of this problem
is affected by the styles I use for the spatial weight (using the styles
"U","W" "B" "C" of the function *nb2list* from *spdep*) but in all styles
Moran's I is still significantly positive.

Interestingly this problem doesn't occur when I use a SAR models (
*errorsarlm* command from *spdep* package).

So, does it make sense to use PCNM approach when it removes only a portion
the spatial autocorrelation?

Thanks
Niv

ᐧ