[R-sig-Geo] estimation of spatial panels with endogenous weighting matrices

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Nov 2 14:13:04 CET 2017

On Thu, 2 Nov 2017, MERVE AKSOYLAR wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I'm doing my thesis on some empirical work on spatial panel data.
> I already use some geographical weighting matrices (using spdep and splm
> packages).
>
> But now I'm planning to use some endogenous weighting matrices, which are
> time variant.

Please provide a working example if possible (time invariant, error or
lag, fixed or random effects?), or at least references to published
methods articles. Why might time variant endogenous weighting matrices
(size T x NxN x T with many 0 by definition) be interesting? You are
thinking of a different Kronecker product than that in splm, but with what
motivation (theoretical and empirical)? How are you thinking of proceeding
- GMM, ML, or Bayesian? Could you use INLA in a non-separable setting?
This doesn't get you to endogenous weights, though.

Roger