[R-sig-Geo] Appropriate variogram model

Dr. Benedikt Gräler b.graeler at 52north.org
Wed May 17 12:10:28 CEST 2017

Dear Ankur,

I see two issues from your plot:
i) there seems to be a seasonality in your data (maybe daily?) as the
sample variogram grows up to half the length of your temporal axis and
then drops again
ii) the starting values of your fitting routine are far off from what
can be deduced from the sample variogram. Hence, the numerical routines
have a hard time to identify the correct values. Additionally, the
parameters are of different orders of magnitude further complicating the
numerical fit. Manual re-scaling might help.

Try adding the parameter "scales=list(arrows=F)" for a visual assessment
of the empirical variogram; in your case

plot(var, wireframe=T, scales=list(arrows=F))

This reveals that the variogram indicates the same strength of
dependence for values 24 and 0 hours apart -> daily cycle? I'd suggest
to model the daily cycle first and then to model the spatio-temporal
variogram of the residuals.

HTH,

  Ben

On 08/05/2017 06:33, Ankur Sarker via R-sig-Geo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone suggest me the most appropriate variogram model to fit my data?
>
> I have tried three different models and results are too bad. Here is the
> comparison of different variogram models as attached.
>
> Thanks,
> Ankur

Dr. Benedikt Gräler
52°North Initiative for Geospatial Open Source Software GmbH
Martin-Luther-King-Weg 24
48155 Muenster, Germany

E-Mail: b.graeler at 52north.org
Fon: +49-(0)-251/396371-39
Fax: +49-(0)-251/396371-11

http://52north.org/
Twitter: @FiveTwoN

General Managers: Dr. Albert Remke, Dr. Andreas Wytzisk
Local Court Muenster HRB 10849