[R-sig-Geo] Eurostat shapefiles & google maps offset

Martin Zuba martin.zuba at gmx.at
Wed Mar 22 18:19:01 CET 2017

Dear list,

I would like to plot shaded shapefiles with static google maps background
images.

I obtain the shapefiles from Eurostat, via the eurostat R package.

I obtain the static google background images from using the get_map wrapper
from the R package ggmap.

My problem is that there seems to be an offset between those two coordinate
systems. I know that the Eurostat files uss the coordinate reference system
ETRS89 and google maps uses WSG84, which should be (almost) identical.

However, google images and the shapefiles are somwhat off; and that offset
is not constant, which indicates that there might be a problem related to
projections.

illustration:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/34k2ace42ubjjek/eurostatVSgoogle.png?dl=0

replication: