[R-sig-Geo] xlsx or rJava issue

Thiago V. dos Santos thi_veloso at yahoo.com.br
Fri Mar 17 11:17:28 CET 2017

Didier, I noticed you are using macOS. Are you by any chance using RStudio as well? If yes, besides Edzer's suggestion, the following command has also helped me in the past:

sudo ln -f -s $(/usr/libexec/java_home)/jre/lib/server/libjvm.dylib /usr/local/lib

Then, try re-installing rJava - *from source* - now. It should work.
 Hope this helps,
 -- Thiago V. dos Santos

PhD student
Land and Atmospheric Science
University of Minnesota

On Friday, March 17, 2017 4:52 AM, Dr Didier G. Leibovici <didier.leibovici at nottingham.ac.uk> wrote:
Hi,

I had some issues with java settings when using xlsx.

I had re-installed rJava as well.

> library(xlsx)
Error : .onLoad failed in loadNamespace() for 'xlsx', details:
   call: .jinit()
   error: JNI_GetCreatedJavaVMs returned -1

Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘xlsx’
JavaVM: requested Java version ((null)) not available. Using Java at ""
instead.
JavaVM: Failed to load JVM: /bundle/Libraries/libserver.dylib
JavaVM FATAL: Failed to load the jvm library.

that file on my machine is in:
/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_25.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/server/

is it a particular JAVA_HOME setting or a PATH issue?

I added this in the PATH, re-installed rJava, re-installed xlsx ... nope!
thanks,

Didier

on R version 3.3.2 (2016-10-31)

--