[R-sig-Geo] Sentienl 2 gdal translate

Loïc Dutrieux loic.dutrieux at conabio.gob.mx
Wed Mar 15 23:13:47 CET 2017

Hi,

I tried your code with some S2 images I had lying around, and it works
on my system. I modified it a bit to write the output layers to the same
directory and not to my working directory.

library(gdalUtils)
library(raster)

Image_Path<-'/path/to/images/'

S2_JP2_List <- list.files(Image_Path, full.names = TRUE, pattern = ".jp2$")

for (file in S2_JP2_List) {
  out_file <- extension(file, 'tif')
  gdal_translate(src_dataset = file, dst_dataset = out_file, ot =
"UInt16", of = "GTiff")
}

gdal has a sentinel 2 driver, but it's not extremely old, therefore it's
possible that your installation doesn't have it; you can check with:

gdal-config --formats | grep sentinel2

Cheers,
Loïc