[R-sig-Geo] Avoid axis labels, ticks and marks in ggRGB() plot

Benjamin Leutner benjamin.leutner at uni-wuerzburg.de
Mon Mar 13 14:05:12 CET 2017

The problem with your first approach is that there is no "data layer"
which could span the coordinate axes.
Since ggRGB by default uses an annotation_raster() in order to keep your
"fill" dimension free for other data,  the coordinate limits are empty,
hence the plotted raster is lost in the dimensionless void and you get
see nothing ;-)

I would recommend to start your plot with ggRGB like this:

ggRGB(rlogo, r=1, g=2, b=3) +
   theme(
     axis.text = element_blank(),
     axis.ticks = element_blank(),
     axis.title = element_blank())

If you do want to use it with ggLayer = TRUE, there should be at least
one "geom" with actual data in it (or you'd have to set ggRGB(...,
geom_raster=TRUE), but I don't see any benefit in that and it would give
you a huge legend with one entry per rgb color...)

best,
Benjamin

On 03/13/2017 12:10 PM, Agustin Lobo wrote:
> In order to save space, I prefer to avoid coordinates in the plot
> generated by ggRGB. Is there any way? I've tried:
>
> ggplot() +
> ggRGB(rlogo, r=1, g=2, b=3,ggLayer=TRUE) +
>    theme(
>      axis.text = element_blank(),
>      axis.ticks = element_blank(),
>      axis.title = element_blank())
>
> but get an empty plot.
> I can circumvent the problem as follows, but it is kind of ugly and complicated,
> there must be another way:
>
> a <- as(extent(rlogo), 'SpatialPolygons')
> y <- fortify(a,region=id)
> ggplot(data=y,aes(y=lat, x=long)) +
>    ggRGB(rlogo, r=1, g=2, b=3,ggLayer=TRUE) +
>    geom_polygon(colour="yellow", fill=NA) +
>    guides(fill=FALSE) +
>    coord_fixed(ratio=1) +
>    theme(
>      axis.text = element_blank(),