[R-sig-Geo] sf attribute-geometry-relationship

chris english englishchristophera at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 03:53:30 CET 2017

Dear Members,

After joining discrete line segments (groups of rows) into a multiline (a
row) as a kind of summary, I was wondering how i might extend sf
st_geometry()/st_agr() to report an array that would couple my segments
with their columner attribute geometry relationships (somewhat like a
subtotal applied to each line segment component of the multiline).

I ask as I note the dplyr verbs, which both encourage and daunt, but
suggest with the right incantation I might get there; the fact that the sf
result should be a WKT, which leads me to think vector rather than array,
which suggests I won't get there.

My wish for an array is that I don't, won't know in advance how many
segments, their valance (one, another, or yet another kind of attribute),
their order, & etc except as is found in the column that described their
creation as line segment (and may eventually be determined nearly real
time), which makes meuse seem both very stable and ex post facto in
comparison.

Thanking you in advance for your thoughts on this matter that I hope is
sufficiently clear.

Chris