[R-sig-Geo] ApproxNA producing different and incorrect results in stacks of large rasters

Jodi Norris Jodi_Norris at nps.gov
Thu Mar 2 14:52:09 CET 2017

Hello, I’m trying to confirm if there is a bug or at least unexplained
change in behavior in the function approxNA in the most recent version of
the R Raster package (Raster 2.5-8).

I have a small reproducible example below. The original symptoms (too large
to share) were that most the output of the approxNA command appeared to be
the same as the input – it had lots and lots of NA values that had not been
interpolated… but when I switched back to an older version of the package
(2.3-12) and an older version of R (3.3.1) it returns the correct
interpolated results.  I have tried it with raster datatype set to INT2S
and with no particular raster datatype set.

I have checked the documentation in case there is some reason that I should
expect the results to differ but there are no changes between the old
package version that worked correctly and the new package version.

In my reproducible example there are fewer errors but they are quite
obvious to see just from the plotting view (included in the example). In
these plots you can see that the northern parts of several layers have NA
values remaining that should have been interpolated.

Official system bug report details are shown at the bottom of this email;
I’m running 64-bit Windows 7 and 64-bit R 3.3.2 with raster 2.5-8 with an
R-Studio interface, but I have tested also on R-console with the same
results and on a different computer that has the same configuration, I have
also tested in 32-bit R with the same results.

A trigger seems to be the presence of NA values in the first or last layer,
but the errors occur in cells that do not have NA values in the first or
last layer: for example the top left cells are only missing in layer 2 in
the original stack, so it should be a very simple interpolation for those
cells from layer 1 to layer 3.

I did follow the R instructions for submitting a bug report a couple of
weeks ago but I’m not sure if that contact info is correct, or if it might
have gone into a spam folder.

Best regards, and thanks for any suggestions

Jodi

##### start  Reproducible example

library(raster)

# make a large raster, it must be quite big to have a problem

r <- raster(ncols=8142, nrows=3285)

# make six rasters to stack, use different ranges to better see the
interpolation results

r1 <- setValues(r, round(10 * runif(ncell(r)),0))

r2 <- setValues(r, NA)

r3 <- setValues(r, round(100 * runif(ncell(r)),0))

r4 <- setValues(r, round(1000 * runif(ncell(r)),0))

r5 <- setValues(r, round(50 * runif(ncell(r)),0))

r6 <- setValues(r, round(100 * runif(ncell(r)),0))

# insert some NA values

r1[100:600,] <- NA

r3[,1500:1950] <- NA

r5[,400:800] <- NA

r6[2500:2900,] <- NA

# insert some constant values to make it easier to see if interpolation is
working

r4[300:500,] <- 750

r6[300:400,] <- 20

r6[400:500,] <- 100

# make a stack

s <- stack(r1,r2,r3,r4,r5,r6)

# see what the pre-interpolation stack looks like

plot(s)

# interpolate, this takes a while

x2 <- approxNA(s, method = "linear", rule=2)

# see what the post interpolation looks like, there should be filled in
values for all parts of all layers

# but instead it’s retaining many of the NA values

plot(x2)

## End reproducible example

--please do not edit the information below--

Package: raster
 Version: 2.5-8
 Maintainer: Robert J. Hijmans <r.hijmans at gmail.com>
 Built: R 3.3.1; x86_64-w64-mingw32; 2016-07-19 01:23:33 UTC; windows

R Version:
 platform = x86_64-w64-mingw32
 arch = x86_64
 os = mingw32
 system = x86_64, mingw32
 status =
 major = 3
 minor = 3.2
 year = 2016
 month = 10
 day = 31
 svn rev = 71607
 language = R
 version.string = R version 3.3.2 (2016-10-31)
 nickname = Sincere Pumpkin Patch

Windows 7 x64 (build 7601) Service Pack 1

Locale:
 LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252;LC_CTYPE=English_United
States.1252;LC_MONETARY=English_United
States.1252;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=English_United States.1252

Search Path:
 .GlobalEnv, package:raster, package:sp, package:stats,
 package:graphics, package:grDevices, package:utils, package:datasets,
 package:methods, Autoloads, package:base

Jodi_Norris at nps.gov
Landscape and Quantitative Ecologist
Inventory and Monitoring Program
Southern Colorado Plateau Network