[R-sig-Geo] proj4string read by readOGR doesn't seem to precisely specify source shapefile projection

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Jun 14 22:52:41 CEST 2017

Hi Shaun,

Yes, this would be an option, as would be avoiding shapefiles. Could you
(or Glenn) check that the same problem exists with a GPKG written by
ArcGIS and read into R using rgdal::readOGR() and sf::st_read(), and then
written out again using rgdal::writeOGR() and sf::st_write? A recent issue
on github at edzer/sfr showed that GPKG can be more effective at handing
this kind of issue than ESRI Shapefile formats. OGC GPKG should be
advanced strongly as the preferred modern format eradicating Shapefiles as
soon as possible (for numerous reasons, including encoding, field name
lengths, etc.). I don't have a current ESRI license, or I'd try the GPKG
roundtrip myself. I'd much rather spend time fixing things for GPKG (or
SQLite) than shapefiles.

Best wishes,

Roger