[R-sig-Geo] proj4string read by readOGR doesn't seem to precisely specify source shapefile projection

Shaun Walbridge SWalbridge at esri.com
Wed Jun 14 17:14:16 CEST 2017

Glen,

Round-tripping projection information can be tricky, in part because the
normalization routines vary between different stacks, and what counts
as the same form is also implementation dependent. In this case
(round-tripping with ArcGIS), you may be better off using the
arcgisbinding package [1], which can do the conversion to and from
ArcGIS native data types (including some that aren't available via
OGR/GDAL). It's easy enough to install [2], and also lets you build
Geoprocessing tools which speak directly to R. I imagine there's also a
pure R solution to the normalization, but it would likely have side
effects for existing packages, and may not be easily solved.

If you know that your data is fine and want a simple solution, you could
also just overwrite the new shapefile’s .prj file with a copy of the
original.

Cheers,
Shaun

1. https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__r-2Darcgis.github.io_assets_arcgisbinding.pdf&d=DwIGaQ&c=n6-cguzQvX_tUIrZOS_4Og&r=fCPRb7QX-vd5bnO9gIJHCiX852SVUtyYX--xtCKtpfk&m=9su2o7yjMBqHmqZT3kZAlTRZwPC_W0Tm65yvo7NmjLw&s=pIBxR3icnDLcn639TzBc0mkXy6Tv7G9Ip7xcWSAMweU&e=
2. https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_R-2DArcGIS_r-2Dbridge-2Dinstall&d=DwIGaQ&c=n6-cguzQvX_tUIrZOS_4Og&r=fCPRb7QX-vd5bnO9gIJHCiX852SVUtyYX--xtCKtpfk&m=9su2o7yjMBqHmqZT3kZAlTRZwPC_W0Tm65yvo7NmjLw&s=JADt055JJUuCG1eltd7N9o5f_fu_geqGlnzO62SGtGM&e=