[R-sig-Geo] Any plans to provide access to CGAL in R?

Michael Sumner mdsumner at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 14:50:48 CEST 2017

On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 at 22:03 Robin Lovelace <rob00x at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've just been made aware of the CGAL <http://www.cgal.org/> C++ library
> for computational geometry.

Hi Robin, we've discussed this here:

https://github.com/r-spatial/discuss/issues/6

FWIW a few years ago I did some simple Rcpp tests:

https://github.com/r-gris/cgalgris

Then I discovered RTriangle (it and TDA use the same underlying library)
and that provides the main thing I was after, now in package sfdct and
applied for more general use here:

https://github.com/r-gris/rangl

There is a lot you can do with a constrained triangulation, it's a "hammer"
and sometimes overkill but it's extremely flexible and powerful. I'm happy
to flesh out examples for problems you think might be solvable with it to
help promote why CGAL would be useful in R.

I'm very interested in general forms for these data, and the idea is to put
all the 3D rangl stuff on this footing eventually:

https://github.com/mdsumner/sc

tidygraph is a very good example of how we can modernize these indexed data
structures, and other newish packages icosa, webglobe, dggridR, also touch
on this "mesh" way of working. For that matter spdep and GEOS work that way
internally, but we only have fragments of the concept available at an R
level.

Simon Urbanek has s-u/rcgal on github but it doesn't expose very much.

Cheers, Mike.