[R-sig-Geo] Error reading hdf files with rgdal

Dominik Schneider dosc3612 at colorado.edu
Mon Jan 16 14:18:21 CET 2017

Just to cover all the bases, MODIS hdf files require the hdf4 library. If
you changed something with your GDAL install you might not have this
anymore.

at the commandline prompt, gdalinfo --format HDF4 should give the following
Khione:~ $ gdalinfo --format HDF4
Format Details:
  Short Name: HDF4
  Long Name: Hierarchical Data Format Release 4
  Supports: Raster
  Extension: hdf
  Help Topic: frmt_hdf4.html
  Supports: Subdatasets
  Supports: Open() - Open existing dataset.

Dominik