[R-sig-Geo] format. adm

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Thu Dec 7 18:00:50 CET 2017

Just bringing this back on-list after some off-list discussion in case
anyone reads this in the future and wonders what happened..

 * The adm2gpx converter from sourceforge seems to be the only open-source
code for converting Garmin's ADM format to anything else.

 * On Mauricio's data it failed badly to convert the waypoints (producing
nonsense waypoints) but produced some sensible track points, but every few
hundred track points were interrupted by about 20 nonsense points again,
all in the resulting GPX file.

 * The GPX failed to load into QGIS or R since GDAL/OGR took a strong
dislike to the broken waypoints.

 * I edited the GPX manually and deleted the waypoints. Now it would load,
but it still had the nonsense track points causing the track to scatter all
over the world.

 * Further text editing to remove the nonsense track points resulted in a
reasonable looking track but with big gaps where the nonsense points were,
possibly these were misencoded and real data has been removed.

In conclusion, there's no way to read Garmin ADM files into R, and no good
way to convert them to something that can - at least not with open source
tools. Other web documents trying to describe the ADM format seem to say it
is a bit hard to understand with variants changing substantial parts of the
structure - I suspect something like that has caused the problematic
conversion experienced.

Barry